Building Better Walls with Exterior Rigid Insulation
- Executive Art Director: Robert Goodfellow
- Deputy Art Director: Rodney Diaz
With this illustration assignment I was given the task of showing how the insulation and sheathing are applied as well as how the windows are handled to avoid thermal bridging. In addition, the special treatment used to avoid thermal bridging between the heated house and the unheated garage needed to be illustrated.
The challenges I faced:
- Design an illustration that shows all the critical elements without having them get too far apart or too small.
- Make sure the building elements match the photos seen later in the article. I paid attention to roof line and the colors and textures of the building materials.
- Altering the scale of the building so details would read well while maintaining a convincing render.
- Leaving space for the satellite drawings and carefully vignetting the illustration so it doesn’t interfere with the other page elements.
Below: My hand drawn pencil rough. The roof line and a few other things were changed before going to final rendering.
Below: The satellite illustrations. With these I generally provide more detail than what’s strictly needed.